Thursday, October 18, 2007

Sickness/Rain/Earthquakes/Karyoke/Death/the Adams Family/everything horrible

For the last 4 days I have been sick with a cold that seems normal enough, but, in order to not have a devastating attack on my body like the month long disease I experienced in May, I have been taking all mexican recommendations and ´cuidandome´, taking care of myself. This consists of things like covering my chest and sleeping with a blanket when its hot, not turning up the air conditioner, not drinking anything cold, and drinking home remedies of honey and tea. Hey, and so far this time, I think it´s working!

Because I have been kind of a homebody due to my sickness and also due to tremendous amounts of rain pouring outside, not much has happened. I have been enjoying my favorite mexican soap opera each night, loving the insane drama and absurd love triangles, and only leaving the TV for commercials. I swear I´m addicted, it´s so weird.

Last week I went to sing Karyoke, which is not only fun, but like a spanish and mexican culture class everytime I go, because I have to read the words and sing along to classic hits that I have never heard before the the 80s.

Other than that, there´s class. The funniest thing that happened in class this week was that I had my students think of everyday problems and miracle products to be the solution. My example problem was that I can´t wake up in the mornings, and I always hit my snooze button. One halarious student recommended that I try the new ´earthquake bed´, namely, a bed that shakes like an earthquake until you fall out. We decided the slogan should be ´quake up with the earthquake bed!!!´

Speaking of earthquakes, its weird to be in a place where it happens on a regular basis. Just yesterday I was taking a nap when my bed shifted for about 10 seconds. In my normal life I might have thought it was a poltergeist. But, luckily, I knew better, shrugged my shoulders and said ´bah! another earthquake....´ Haha, from that comment it sounds like I encounter both earthquakes and poltergeists on a regular basis. I´ll leave that for you to decide.

Well, two things are coming up in the future: Halloween and Day of the Dead, similar yet different. I am going to a halloween and I think Edwin and I will go as Gomez and Morticia Adams. Is this too typical? I think it will work.

About Day of the Dead, november 2nd. It seems like it will be cool, and yet possibly overrated in my mind, like all other holidays. Some of my students don´t even celebrate it really, and say its becoming more similar to halloween all the time. But, as tradition goes, families typically make regional foods like tamales, and candy from pumpkin, fig, sweet potatoe, etc, and place it on an altar dedicated to their dead ancestors. Then in the morning they visit the gravesites and at night they eat the food on the altar and have a bit of a party. I´ve been invited to eat Tamales Yucatecos (tamales from the region of Yucatan), so that should be nice....

we´ll thats all, any other halloween costume ideas? if I have the best costume I win a DVD player!!!

3 Comments:

At 6:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think those costumes will be cool....i assume you'll wear a wig and the next time we talk you'll be the proud owner of a DVD player...hey maybe you could trade it for one of the earthquake beds....you always did have a problem with that snooze button....guess it runs in the family!!
Hope you're feeling better!!

 
At 11:46 PM, Blogger JacobG said...

You eat food off of an altar? That sounds appetizing and possibly irreverent?

 
At 4:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the adams family costumes will work... or maybe "the Munsters"?
Hope your feeling better!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home