Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Thrustworthiness

Actual quote from my student´s last grammar test:

´My sister is the most thrustworthy person I´ve ever met.´

Yeah, that´s write, THRUST worthy.

I´m being followed by Testigos de Jehovah, aka Jehovah´s Witnesses. So I´m definately on the top of the List of people who need to not go to hell, or wherever I will go, which I should probably soon know, because I finally gave in to talk to one today when I was approached in an internet cafe. Everyone I have encountered who is trying to give me this ´what the bible REALLY teaches´ book look like they are on at least 6 kinds of happy drugs and I don´t know how this is possible when they have to read such boring, poorly made literature. Anyway, I might invite one out for coffee and interrogate them nicely on why in the world they are a Jehovah´s Witness when they can´t celebrate holidays? What is this world without Christmas?

Speaking of Christmas, I´ve started the countdown due to the naturally inspiring red, green and white sparkling garlands decorating the street in the wake of Independence day. I´m listening to Frank Sinatra christmas hits every other day, but ´let it snow´just has very little meaning in this palm tree climate.

Wait, that makes me think of two things: Independence Day and Frank Sinatra.

More importantly, my new puppy, which I will have in several weeks, will be named Frank Sinatra, if not formally mentioned, for his gray brown hair and bright blue eyes. I´m hoping his eyes dont change colors. He is adorable and got his first shivering bath the other day. I think he liked it. I´ll post pictures soon, as if anyone cares but me. I feel as if I gave birth to it, well, at least I have a stain of it´s birth residue on my favorite bra.

And Independence Day: totally overrated, but enjoyable nonetheless. I guess I was expecting Mex Independence Day to be up there with Brazil´s Carnaval, with US Thanksgiving, with Chinas New Year. Etc etc. Most of my students didn´t even make plans. Basically everyone went to the disco, just like any random weekend. My plans were very nice. I went to a dinner with Edwin´s family and ate ´comida tipica´ like tostadas, beans, red green and white salsas and salads, tamales, tacos dorados...etc.

But afterwards was the best part because Edwin, his cousin Carlitos and I went up to the top of my roof, where you can see the whole city, and watched the fireworks explode over the valley of the city, a front row view!!!!

This week I bought a stereo and it has significantly increased my happiness. I have unfortunatly had to watch Father of the Bride for one of my classes for the 500th time, and this, unfortunately, leveled my happiness back to normal. HA! I can´t handle the all american, no problems, perfect life family in that movie, it makes me really crazy.

So for a long time I thought there was someone on my street playing the marimba every morning. HOW NICE! I thought. Turns out, its just the Electron Water Truck, selling water with marimba music on the loudspeaker. If you´ve never been to Latin America, you probably have no idea what I´m talking about. Selling water??? You are thinking, Our water´s free!!!

Yeah, enjoy it while you can, busters. In the future there will be no water. For other thoughts on the future, read the blog dedicated to it, on the side.

3 Comments:

At 7:30 AM, Blogger moonrose said...

haha, thrustworthiness. now that is funny. did you mark that sentence incorrect? post pictures of little frankie soon. oh, and thanks for the plug. maybe now we will include a post about the future of water.

 
At 7:30 PM, Blogger McKinley Ann said...

i like your thinking.. thrusting, Frank Sinatra, birth stains, water. It sort of has a theme. Or at least high entertainment value.

 
At 5:45 PM, Blogger JacobG said...

In the future we won't need water because we have replaced all our water-based organs with mechanical ones that are lubricated through other sources.

Tags for this comment:
cyborgs, oilcan, the future.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home