Monday, September 10, 2007

Teacher Billy Bob Jr

Today one of my students asked me,

´Teacher, in the United States... (this is how most questions start)....why do people use the name Junior, for example, Martin Luther King Jr.?´

´Well, I suppose so they are not confused with their father with the same name. Why do you ask?´

´Because my last teacher´s name was Billy Bob Jr.´

Me, the teacher: Exploding into laughter.

You see, in Mexico, to show respect, students call me Teacher, or Teacher Jessica, and the thought of them dutifully calling him Teacher Billy Bob Jr without any understanding of why it was funny was just unbearably halarious for me.

So, its rainy season, which I have mentioned countless times, and yet I am never tired of the fog, cool weather, and ability to wear socks and even boots on a lucky, chilly night. I love being rained into the house with nothing to do but drink coffee and listen to the pounding on the roof.

I´m loving my new apartment, and hope to get pictures up soon.

I´m also loving my new social life, meaning that my amazing friend Ann and I have decided enough is enough, we always talk about how much we miss ¨Univeristy¨ (thats what she says, oh the british...) and what we truly missed was having a circle of friends. So we have started Operation Create a Circle of Friends, which is difficult work, basically requiring money to go out, and a lot of money to text message people and convince them to go out, too. This weekend we went to sing Karyoke and ended up horrifying the crowd with our rendition of Queen´s Bohemian Rhapsody, followed by More than words by Extreme. No, really.

Next week, bowling?

I will have a chihuahua puppy within the next month!!!! Any name recommendations? I´m thinking maybe Billy Bob Jr. ?

Last, but not least, I bought an enormous plastic banner that I will hang outside my balcony tomorrow to get ready for Mexican Independence Day this weekend. Katie, get ready, it will be equally exciting in your hispanic neighborhood I bet. :)

2 Comments:

At 4:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok two things: Katie's neighborhood - interesting.....her roommate Hannah really steps up to the plate with being cool in that neighborhood...not sooo much for Kate...i told her to just keep her sunglasses on and you won't look so scared...or better yet...since you have your sunglasses on they can't see you...you can just pretend that you're a "stealth Kentuckian" and they won't be able to see you at all!!...which is a good thing b/c she really stands out in a hispanic community LOL...
Ok puppy names: I vote for Cheeseburger ...totally American!!! LOL

 
At 9:10 AM, Blogger JacobG said...

Bonus points if that is pronounced with the Spanish 'll'.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home