Welcome Back, welcome back, welcome back
I´m back in Tuxtla! As sad as I was to leave, luckily all feelings of sadness went away upon arrival. I was so sad to leave Kentucky and I will miss you friends, but mostly it was hard to leave my family more than anything. I held back tears in the airport as I was overwhelmed with a feeling of always leaving the people I love.
However, after a turbulant flight I sat in the airport happily looking out to the emrald green mountains and majestic gray rainclouds, but suffering from severe plane induced naseau and headache. I decided to make myself a little bed while waiting for edwin to pick me up. I laid down on a bench. I hadn´t been laying for more than 30 seconds when a small female security guard came and told me laying down is prohibited and could i please sit up straight. What? I don´t understand what is so threatening about laying down, and I thought, I am back in crazy Mexico, which has Home Depot and Applebee´s, but remains a foreign culture to me with strange customs like having to sit up straight in public. So, I sat up.
Edwin picked me up and he is SKINNY. In the last month he lost approximately 20 pounds on a diet while I was gone. Oh me, he looks really young and is really chipper about it, so that is fun.
It´s funny how you get accustomed to a place and have your favorite activities there. We went to VIPS, a nice family restaurant, and ate delicious food and bottomless coffee, then we went to the movies and saw an incredibly dragged out movie with Catherine Zeta Jones about being a chef.
Everyone´s loving my Pumpkin Butter and Kentucky Wide book, a beautiful collection of photographs given to me by my mom and taken by a photographer I know. Check that book out. Edwin´s dad is loving his new copy of Frank Sinatra´s greatest hits CD. (PS Dad I´m going to tell Katie to bring that with her in two weeks!)
I went today to Canadian and got my books for the next semester that starts on Monday. I ran into an old student and chatted, happy to be chatting in spanish again, mostly glad I haven´t forgotten it. Later, all in one day, I read in the park, I went shopping at WalMart, Edwin cooked chinese food, we played dominos at a cafe and I´m pretty sure I found a cool apartment, for which Edwin says he will buy me a toaster oven, my favorite kitchen appliance. Gosh, I hope so, thats the best part of the day.
Anyway, I´m glad to be be back. :) Things are looking good.

2 Comments:
didn't you get into trouble once on the top floor of POT for lying down? it must be a north american thing.
oh, mexico. i am happy that you are so happy to be back.
Post a Comment
<< Home