Thanksgiving Mission Success!!!
Although I was quite sad on the official Turkey Day, I was too busy to become too sad, as I spent the whole day shopping and looking up recipes. The next day was spent baking and preparing food in advance, as I had decided to throw a thanksgiving dinner party for 25 people!!!! Edwin´s family let me use their carport area, and they decorated it with Christmas garland, cleaned it up really nicely, and put out tables with poinsettas and a stereo to listen to music. Que detalles!!!! They are probably the best people I know.
So, I taught on saturday and then quickly rushed to edwins house to begin cooking, which I did from 3 o´clock to 8 o´clock!!! I never had any idea how much effort it takes to put together a good thanksgiving, let alone to cook for so many people. I made turkey, stuffing, gravy, peas, carrots, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, apple pie, pumpkin pie, and served bread and cranberry sauce, but not without loads of help from his family cleaning up, helping me peel apples, rolling out the pie crusts, watching to not overcook the stuff while I escaped to take a shower. Edwin was a hero, going on multiple errands at my beck and call to buy new lightbulbs, butter and milk, to hold this, stir that, check the turkey, carve the turkey, go get me some plates. Poor thing. At the end of the night we were all exhausted.
But it was a huge success, measured by the fact that almost all my students arrived happily, bringing drinks and looking beautiful, and there was no awkward moment, everyone knew someone and chatted happily, and loved the food. My friend Ann said she was so happy to eat food like reminded her of Wales, and I agreed, mashed potatoes and pumpking pie can cure any homesickness.
I like hosting parties so much, and its really fun to do in Mexico, because everyone comes to greet the host and kisses you on the cheek and hugs you and theres no awkward ´should we shake hands or hug or what?´ kind of moments. Also, most people are friendly and were chatting away in no time.
So, Thanksgiving, success.
A christmas cookie party will be my next feat! :)
Hooray for the holidays! I´m so excited!!!
PS Edwin takes his medical test that will determine him studying or not for the next 3 years for a specialization on saturday! so if you pray or send good meditation vibes or whatever, do that, please! :)
PPS My mom is coming to visit me in February!!!

4 Comments:
I am not sure I have ever had pumpking pie but i'm sure it is something similar to what we have in the states! I'm so proud of you. Maybe you can save all your recipes and put them in the cookbook i started for you many many moons ago! I hope you took pictures!!! Love you Jess!
Good job!!!
sounds like an awesome party, congrats for pulling it off so well, you are a great hostess. missing you, love Bree
I'm going to go ahead and assume that all the guests put salsa on everything.
ah, CWJC south of the border! but with edwin instead of jacob as official errand runner. and some ann girl instead of carrie...boo hoo hoo...
Post a Comment
<< Home