Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Bargain Hunter

In my class we recently studied a chapter on animals followed by a chapter on shopping. I think one of my students got some vocab mixed up, which resulted in this amazing sentence appearing on the test:

´I hate bargain hunters because sometimes they kill baby animals.´

hahhahahahahaaaaa, gosh, i know! Don´t you hate going shopping, looking for deals without luck and then all a sudden the person you are with slaughters a kitten out of pure frustration?

Speaking of a bargain, I bought a handmade eisel for painting for like 13 dollars from a really cool old man. So, I haven´t started painted yet in my house, but I feel like I have crossed the line that makes me a real, self-proclaimed artist. Just walking down the street with it was cool. Every step I took, more sophistacated as people watched me and wondered, ¨I wonder what she´ll paint next?¨

I think I´ll paint my feet, and the reason is because apparently I have spectacular ginormous monster feet, as I have spent over 3 days looking for a store that even carries a size 9 shoe. When I ask them if they have my size they look at me wide eyed, and say, ´NOOOOOOO!!!!´

This weekend I stayed at a hostal and met people with dreadlocks, which made me need to leave my stable life and travel again. So, anyone want to go to South America with me?

5 Comments:

At 5:10 PM, Blogger polo said...

i'll go with you. let me know when and i will sublet my room out.

also, that sentence your student made was the funniest thing i've ever read in my life.

 
At 5:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is the funniest sentence...talk about getting things mixed up!! Oiy vey!!! LOL
Can you imagine if/when i come to Mexico and they are asked to find a size 10 women's shoe...LOL..they'll probably run to get their camera's to take a picture of the freak woman!! bwwwahhhhahhhhhhaaaaaa

 
At 1:51 PM, Blogger JacobG said...

´I hate bargain hunters because sometimes they kill baby animals.´

Let's break this down:

bargain hunters are those who seek to circumvent the process of manufacture and consumption by buying items that have already been used by others or by purchasing products that are on clearance and so have passed their primary sale cycle. This causes less demand for those items to be produced which would usually happen in a developing country by young children who must take a job, any job, to sustain their family and their well-being. When the demand for production goes down so does the demand for producers(workers), and thus the children are out of a job and are not providing support for themselves. If we look at these small children as animals (as we all are) then I would say that your student's statement is a keen insight into the beliefs of a starkly traditional conservative capitalist.

But still, freakin' hilarious.

Also, remember how everyone thinks you have dreadlocks all the time? haha, you have probably inspired other people to visit foreign countries as well without even knowing it!

 
At 1:55 PM, Blogger JacobG said...

Also, if you live in New York you can sell paintings of even marginal quality for hundreds of dollars as I've noticed. You're amazing landscapes should go over well.

 
At 7:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

1...i am laughing right now (trying to conceal it in the internet cafe) while my site-mate comments: `you having a good time over there?` in which i chuckle and say `yes, my friends are so funny`. ah, which they are. um, 2....i as well paid homage to many graves i didnt know while pretending i did. 3...i live in s. america and want desperately to travel it...my plans have NOT changed to travel it with you, but dont know how they will match with your schedule. and 4...why aren`t you coming home for christmas?! i miss you dearly. love T-thom

 

Post a Comment

<< Home