Sunday, April 29, 2007

New Classes Again...

Today is a lazy sunday, the only day of the week that I don`t have to work, so I spend it waking up late, playing on the computer, and generally trying to avoid all types of thought and obligation. Today I woke up at the now very late hour of 10 am (ive gotten accustomed to 5:45!!!) and watched Batman Returns on TV. Why? who knows, I dont have cable, there are only a few options, and i actually do like that movie.

Anyway, this week has been super because I started my new classes I will have until the end of july and my students are fantastic. All of my classes are filled with lovely angelic students with great personalities who actually like to learn. Its unbelievable really. On top of this I am teaching two advanced classes, and since I already taught them last semester I know the book and the material and just get to experiment with new ways to teach the same things, which is easy and fun for me. I started my classes knowing exactly how I want my classes to go, setting the rules in advance, and now each class goes smoothly and I have authority because I know what I`m doing. So i teach advanced students and also a class where I train those who have graduated from advanced to be teachers themselves, usually for children`s classes. My `teachers` are incredibly creative, hard working, and mature, and an absolute joy, making me think more and more about the idea of working to train foreign teachers after getting a MA in the future.

At Canadian Center people put their kids in english classes and my goodness, it really works! just yesterday a small 7 year old child approached me and said ``excuse me, can you help me cross the road? i am afraid of the cars!....I am in level 6 english.` ha!

Anyway, besides that the most exciting things to happen were that my nightly soap opera came to a climactic, incredibly dramatic end (tear....) and that Edwin and I went on a date to the new Applebee`s. Applebee`s here in Tuxtla is the number one fancy place to be seen, complete with an outside patio and no meal that costs less than 10 dollars. Its so different from the family applebees in the US, and a wonderful place for me to feel less homesick. People take their dates here, and celebrate their bday parties! Its the one place i can go get a fantastic salad, burger, buffalo wings and mozzerella sticks, and american decadent deserts.

On the way home we discovered a bingo hall with all sorts of betting, including horse racing. Including the Kentucky Derby, which they will be showing next week and we will go to drink bourbon (just kidding, it doesnt exist here) and place bets. im pretty excited about this. I`m going to teach my class about it.
speaking of, listen to this
http://www.themaxfm.com/Article.asp?id=395461

Well, I think thats all for now. Thanks for reading.

6 Comments:

At 6:24 PM, Blogger moonrose said...

woah, looks like i just stumbled upon a new entry. 1--i think you would make a great english teacher teacher. 2--is it too late to be a pen pal to a mexican carrie? i hear the similarities between the existing pairs are stunning. glad you got to go on a fancy date. last night we went to 'the cuban restaurant.' "excuuuze meee..." anyway two more finals and i am a graduated woman! love you jess.

 
At 6:26 PM, Blogger moonrose said...

ps: b. kingsolver has a new nonfiction book about eating 'deliberately'

 
At 7:52 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

So you are officially no longer a vegetarian!! LOL !! Maybe when i come to Mexico to visit some of those 7 yr old children can teach ME level one spanish....
Applebees...mmmmm sounds like the menu items are similar to the US yes? It was great talking to you yesterday...and furthered my thought that i sill miss you lots!! Hope you know you always have a place to stay with us! Love you Jess!!

 
At 10:06 AM, Blogger Bree said...

I am deliberately eating right now...in fact I always do that. I pretty much never eat accidentally. Maybe soon Barbara will come out with a more relevant book. Anyway, I also let out an "ooh" when you spoke of being a teacher teacher....I vote for that one....good career for you. Well, i'll see you in about 2 weeks...but I dont think we'll go to applebee's....but i do want to watch movies. yay!

 
At 5:07 AM, Blogger McKinley Ann said...

my pen pal hasn't written me back yet, so tell him he will fail unless he gets on it. i think i will smuggle some fresh mint and bourbon into mexico and send it down with bree, so you can do some more culture-sharing.

 
At 3:11 PM, Blogger JacobG said...

I think it will be really funny when you get to say you are a Master of linguistics or Spanish. Soon people will make pilgrimages from all over central america to see you teach people to teach things to them. What an honor it is to be your friend!

neoclasicalguitarhero has not emailed me back either. what up?

Also, you realize I will be at work the day of the derby so if you would like suggestions on who the big winner will be you should get a hold of me.

-Anonymous

 

Post a Comment

<< Home