¨Springtime¨
Well, I officially have my one year mexican work permit. I am no longer an illegal worker!
Today I showed the movie Monsoon Wedding in my english class. It was fantastic and my students loved it.
I got an email from my friend Tiffany saying how she misses spring in Kentucky, and my god, so do I. I love the drastic change of seasons in Kentucky, and often lament the fact that I didn´t experience the coldness of winter and the new rebirth of everything in the spring. What is more, I know how much I will miss the cool, crisp, colorful long autumn....
I have been trying to notice the seasonal changes here and the different animals and plants that have been appearing, and how the climate is changing. This awareness has definately been influenced by the book I just finished, Prodigal Summer.
Currently Tuxtla is at the height of dry season and, in my opinion, the most intense and visually offensive part of the year. Its sunny all day every day, and dry as death valley, with only touches of green in the hollows and valleys. For the most part, though, looking at the mountains is depressing, as they are covered in bear, thirsty trees, and the brown is accentuated by the sun making me feel exhausted and depressed. However, in contrast I have seem some of the most beautiful sights for this reason exactly. There are several trees with bunches of lavender, yellow and orange flowers that are so florescent and illuminated against the brown landscape that they appear to be from another planet. Also, there is something incredible about seeing the sun set on brown mountains...Every hue of brown, red, yellow, and orange, even purple, appears everynight at sunset, making the harsh scalding afternoons worth the pain.
Soon, in about a month, rainy season will begin, the humidy will arrive, making me sweat with every step, but turning the earth green in every corner, revealing every shade of green known to man, inspiring mangoes and bananas to fall in the central park to everyones delight! I can´t wait for rainy season!
Mango season is beginning and I am taking full advantage. There are mangoes here that you must look like a monkey to eat. Theres no getting around this. No matter how you cut a yellow criollo mango, you will end up eating it like a monkey, or at least like a caveman. The point is, you will not look civilized, and you should probably do it in your home, over the sink, as it will drip orange stickiness all over your white shirt (yes, this happened to me). But its so worth it.
IM COMING HOME ON MONDAY. CALL ME!!!!

3 Comments:
will you be in Lex?
yo jess,
so excited for you to be coming home...when do you think you're gonna be available to hang? cant wait
bree
Jess!! I have to say our friends´ blogs are lacking, but you always come through...well, you DID write this on March 27, which was awhile ago, but I admit I`m just seeing it now. I miss spring, yes I do. And, get this...rainy season just ended here, so things will be getting progressively drier and browner and colder, as I`m moving up in altitude. So, I`ll miss green newness even more. But I`m hoping beautiful people and the majesticness of flat land, lonesome trees, crisp, cold nights and a million southern hemisphere stars will make up for it. Love you! T
Post a Comment
<< Home