Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Carnaval!!!!!!!!!!

This weekend was not filled with the fantastic adventures I had anticipated, but it was adventurous nonetheless. Friday night I had heard there was a carnaval celebration in the center of town, so Edwin and I took his family´s little white volkswagon beetle for a spin downtown to find a party. What we found was a stage filled with scantily-clad woman dancing to thumping merengue music with the backdrop reading ´carnaval´, and a crowd of people quietly watching this spectacle and drinking Micheladas. Everyone seemed tired, including us, so we didn´t stay long, just long enough to say we´d been and to observe the typical mexican festival food booths. There were beer tents, quesdilla tents, huarache tents, carts set up selling sweets, peanuts with chiles, strawberries and cream and raspados (flavored ice). However, my favorites of all booths are the ones with giant signs that say ´Fried Products´ (Productos Fritos). This is the booth where you get your fried products. What kind of products are we talking about? Well, amigo, fried ones. Plantains, Potatoes, Dough, Onion, Shoes, Feathers, Puppies? Theres really no telling what you can find, but its sure to be fried. I love this ´Fried Products´ sign because its makes me imagine that you can bring anything and they will fry it for you. Of course, this is not true, but it makes me laugh anyway.

Saturday I taught in the morning and then bummed around the house in my pajamas, watching TV and grading tests. Also I went to see a horrible movie starring Drew Barrymore and Hugh Grant on which I ended up walking out...

Sunday I probably bummed around some more and then went to Edwins house for a scrumptious fish and veggie dinner with his family. We decided to go run some errands, and on the way ran into YET ANOTHER PARADE. But this parade was really something to see.

In case you don´t already know, there is a Volkswagon factory in Mexico and lovebugs are incredibly popular. Edwin once called Mexico ´the land of the lovebugs´and it is entirely true. I often (half) joke about how I would like to buy one and make it an art car- maybe paint it green and blue and white like the earth and the sky with clouds. If you are going to have a bug, you might as well make it as rediculous as possible.

Anyway, in this parade all the beetles showed up just like they were recent canadates on Pimp My Ride; one purple with a ear-damaging bass and doors that folded up like the vehicle in Back to the Future, a yellow convertible with silver stripes and an explosed, gleaming motor, a brown beetle with orange fire stripes...it just went on and on, much to my delight.

Not only this, but there were endless amounts of dance schools dressed in rediculous chiquita banana lady type outfits (its okay to laugh, these are not in any way costumes native to mexico) dancing behind big trucks playing gloria estefan. There was a dance troupe decked out in an angels vs. devils theme (the devils were obviously more seductive dancers). There were brazilian style drumlines. There were beer girls, chucking their Tecate cans from above to the demise of whatever stupid man that shouted for a beer but didn´t have the power to catch a can moving at a high velocity.

My favorite part was when about 12 elderly women came twirling down the road, smiling with wisdom and age as they spun their red sequened parasols, waving with white gloved hands and floating in their matching silver and red sequined shirts and ankle length skirts. Who were they and why were they in the parade? One can only wonder.

I also enjoyed the dance group sponsered by Kentucky Fried Chicken, with a man sized chicken on a float, dangerously throwing candy and and spicing up the event with the 'finger lickin good' slogan and symbol of american globalization for the masses. My heart fluttered a bit with state pride and my stomach growled for a yummy biscuit.

But in summary, more and more my heart is moving me towards a trip to Brazil where the real Carnaval spectacle of the world takes place. I am investigating and can see myself going to teach there in January, but of course, we´ll see what happens. For this reason I may start learning Portuguese as language three. Any thoughts?

8 Comments:

At 2:46 PM, Blogger McKinley Ann said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 2:49 PM, Blogger McKinley Ann said...

Thoughts:
Those adventures seem fantastic to me. It sounds like you could cajole Edwin's family into letting you artify their lovebug, which would be wonderful and parade-worthy. Last November my parents took Tiffany and I to one of their favorite west-end eateries, and we had seven forms of fried food: onion rings, French fries, fried shrimp, fried fish, fried chicken, fried mushrooms and something else, probably batter-dipped air or an otherwise healthy offering. Maybe you could get yourself invited to be on the KFC wagon, since you are an official Kentucky product as well. What psuedo-regional attire could you wear? A Derby hat? And, finally, I say, start Portuguese. I will scout out some resources to give you when you COME HOME.

 
At 5:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Portugese? mmmm much better than any language that would take you to the middle east...very well...portugese it is then.....and as far as the artsy bug goes...i'm all for it...THEN when it dies, which eventually it will...as all good cars eventually die, you can park it in your front yard, throw dirt in it and make it a fabulous planter....i can see it now.......it will be the talk of the town.....of course this would only work if you stay in Mexico as I cannot see a deco'd dead beetle part in the front yard of any home in the "east end" sprouting flowers....even if it is spring time......but i still go back to the parade....will you "throw" me a parade for my wedding......
Time marches on and soon you will be home and i'm looking forward to more pictures and lots of stories....Debbie Sheehan wants you, me, Katie and Tori to go to BW3's one night to chill for a bit....think about it......gotta run....love you!!

 
At 6:08 AM, Blogger polo said...

i hope that those lovebugs are a part of your presentation you are going to show the family when you get home. if not, i'm not interested in seeing it. jkjk.. :]

also, i was thinking of things i would take to get fried. but we can save this for a phone conversation seeing as how i can't get nearly as out of hang with this without your help. i love you!

 
At 6:10 AM, Blogger polo said...

that meant to say "out of hand"... i was going to leave it and just let it say "out of hang" like it was new american slang, but i didn't want you to teach your students anything too crazy...too out of hang.

 
At 2:44 PM, Blogger Bree said...

thanks for the correction Katie, i was staring puzzled at your new slang, and wondering how i ever ended up such a loser. anyway, yay for carnival, yay for bugs, but most of all yay for jess. i miss you lady.

 
At 10:48 AM, Blogger JacobG said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 10:48 AM, Blogger JacobG said...

I've determined there exists no thing more funny than a fried feather. Alliteration, Irony, Absurdity, Perfection! Your masterful use of F-words has made my morning/afternoon, morfternoon if you will.

I must admit to you, I am not a consistent anything-er. I can't hold a schedule for my life and so I read all your posts in one big chunk usually. I just thought you should know. I still have 2 more days left to read yay!
-Anonymous

 

Post a Comment

<< Home