The Day of Love and Friendship
This day is a bit depressing, because no matter what you have an expectation, and its rare that that expectation is met. Edwin got me a present, we´ll probably go out to dinner, but I still feel like the day doesn´t measure up. Why? Because I am the only teacher who did not come to class with games, candy, cake or some sort of valentines party planned!!!!!! My students weren´t that upset, but I am a little. I feel like I´ve let them done, that I´m no longer the fun, creative teacher.
I have too many classes to teach and I have lost my sense of creativity, more or less! I am running out of new games to play, and the class is becoming routine! what to do? I am panicking. The last thing I want is a boring class. Sigh...
Yesterday I was very busy! I went to HSBC bank, which is a british bank where I´ll soon be opening an international account! Sounds neat, huh?
After that I joined my new gym: Manhattan Fitness Center! I paid 30 dollars to go to the gym, salsa classes, and capoeira classes for a month, unlimited times. When I arrived they asked me ´would you like a personal trainer today?´ I said, no, no, that it cost money, right, and I didn´t have money. They said it was free!!!! Astonished, ýes´i replied.
The boy shouted to the back- Luis!!!! Luis came out and I turned around only to see one of my level three students in work out clothes!!!!! My student was my personal trainer, so we switched roles for the hour as he kicked my butt with all sorts of weight lifting and stretching and aerobics . I told him I felt like a celebrity, that it was halarious having a personal trainer, and I attest to the benefits, as I can hardly rotate my hips today. The gym has all sort of equipment, but one minor (major) problem- no air conditioning. Only fans. That were not running. ´Why dont you turn on the fans?´I asked, panting. ´well, its just that right now its not very hot.´
YEAH, RIGHT. Tomorrow I´m going to dance salsa and friday maybe brazilian martial arts!!!!
Also at the gym was one of the other teachers, Marco, from Canadian Center. It was so fun- I had friends in a public place! But the funniest part is that he brought over a newspaper clipping from the main newspaper here in Tuxtla. In it was my picture and a short biography!!!! There was an advertisement bought by Candian Center that said ´Welcome new foreign professors to Tuxtla!!¨Haha, im somewhat of a celebrity!!! People will know my name! I feel like Roxy Heart full of adrenaline from my 15 minutes of fame! Yes! Edwin always laughs because they look like personal ads or something, like they are advertising to come to classes and meet the new, white, english speaking, available girls girls girls! oh well. I´ve been used for advertising, for my foreignness.
Well, cant waste any more time in the internet cafe today. Things to do!!!!
Katie, dear sister, I love you! Ill call you soon.

7 Comments:
We knew that you were destined for great things, like being the most famous red-head in Tuxtla!!! Also, it sounds like you'll be the most buff too, so nobody will ever beat you! As to your creativity, not to worry. Just pull some of those beguiling, hilarious and hyper-entertaining thoughts out of your head, and you have created an instant party like you always do for us. You got it in you, kid. But, I continue to stress, grade less homework. I hope you have an excellent dinner, and give Edwin an extra kiss just because you are together. I send you lots of carino too.
yes I agree...they should rename V-day "doesn't live up to expectations day". Plus, I dont think anyone would mind if you brought in candy tomorrow and celebrated valentines day a day later...you could even tell them thats what we do in the states. but then maybe they'll date americans and get dumped for being insensitive and forgetting valentines day. I'll quit giving advice now..love you
Bree
Love your comments Bree!! And you too McKinley...you are correct...Jess is quite creative and often we are our own worst critics!!
I'm glad that Edwin didn't forget Valentine's Day. I hope you got my text message wishing you a happy day! I'm sure that you made it up to your students.....
How fun that your student became your teacher and that you got to join a gym with all those fun things to do! I wish I could go to YOUR gym!!! Maybe when/if we come visit??? That would be waaaaaay fun!!!
Keep bloggin' and keep making us smile with your awesome stories.
Love and miss you first born child!! :-)
Mom
i love reading your blogs....
if i come for a vacation in mexico i'm not going to the gym. no offense. maybe you could teach your students the friend-hunt game, or a word game where you use an article ("the") before every word, like 'the botulism,' for example. valentine's day is always better a few days after, anyway, because candy is 60% off. love you
carrie
I wonder where the image of a pointy heart came from. In mexico probably they subscribe to it now because of foreign influences but I bet they had some other totally weird shape to represent cardial muscle. Think about what the aztecs would imagine a heart to look like. I bet it would be really delicious looking and always on a nice platter with garnish and chips and salsa. Thoughts?
-Anonymous <3
yes, corazon a la azteca. yum. aztec style heart. it must include cilantro and possibly quetzal feathers.
you should've just told them valentine's day has nothing to do with candy and love and told them the real story of st. valentine. they all would've been bored and sad. then tell them you are kidding. :]
i think it's weird that in mexico you are foreign.
Post a Comment
<< Home