Birthday Parte II
First off, some business: Carrie, tell me the name of your blog again, if you are updating it. Second Bree, i expect more blog updates from you.
To answer your question, Bree, my students call me ´teacher´, and im glad you asked. They call every teacher the same name- teacher. Thats just the custom here. So, it makes me feel better not to be called Ms. Wendt or something. ´Teacher can I go out (to the bathroom)¨?´´teacher, how do you say....?´
My students, as I have mentioned, are little angels, and I think I was maybe born to be a teacher, because its like they are my little flock...when I grade tests I am cheering for them- ´´ yeah, fernando, good grammar!!!´, or suffering ´no, luis, we talked about this!!!´ Its a very emotional experience for me, grading exams. I never realized how much thought and heart is put into planning classes and grading exams. Teaching is so much more than what happens in the classroom. All of you who are reading this should buy your teachers a present.
Today my angel students brought me a present!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had told them it was my birthday and they all said ´´why didnt we have a party???´ Hahaha...we laughed. And then this morning, they all arrived late. I was about to mark them all absent, when they came in with a big birthday cake, candles, chips, soda, plates, the whole shebang! AND a pair of beautiful brown glass earings! They are lovely! We had a little party.
My other students are very darling as well, and they invited me out to dinner on friday night. I told them it is up to them, so who knows where we´ll go. They think I´m cool, and always tell me I´m a good teacher :) Its delights me.
Its weird having the line between teacher and friend. I havent decided if its okay to tell them about my personal life and that, or if I should keep my distance, at least until the class is over. Luckily, its over in 3 weeks, and then teachers switch and I get new students. I figure going to dinner is not like going out to a bar or something.
This school has all sorts of rules about what you can and cant teach, so I was forced to teach Blink 182s all the small things yesterday. Can anyone tell me what this song is about or how to teach it, because I have no idea. I was also forced to make them watch one of the following movies, only: Father of the Bride, Moonstruck (moonlighting?), or Bullets over Broadway. What? I wanted them to watch zoolander. :)
I´m getting a little homesick now...its starting to set in... ho hummm

6 Comments:
teacher, obviously you have not given the time to consider the literary wonder of 'all the small things.' also, is moonstruck the one with cher? i bet you are a very good shepherd, tending the flock. i'm proud of my little jessie.
way to incorporate blink 182 into your daily life.
don't be homesick, teacher. i do miss you though. lots and lots. :]
Teacher....teacher..tell us teacher.........i like calling you teacher....i like that you have a new appreciation for teaching and what they have to go thru ...well some of them anyway....I love the fact that they had a party for you..how cool is that??!! How old are your students? sometimes, the way you write I picture them as children but other times i picture them as teenager/20's.....sooooo tell us about the movie...but more importantly tell us what THEY thought about the movie......
I think i am going to take all of your blogs and publish them someday...(did i say that already)...??? Ok i'm rambling.....so i will go Teacher...love you much!! (start saving jars so you can collect many ants and fry them up or better yet...chocolate cover them...Yummmmmmmm (ugh!! ) gotta go. love you!
-Mom
Teacher.... I'm glad to hear your enjoying your new job. It sounds like your staying busy and having a great time too!. I know your mom is very proud of you and misses you. Take care.... Guy
your students must be angels if they brought you a cake and did not insist on smashing your face in it. professional advice... don't hang out much until your classes with them end, and then you can hang out as much as you want. those are sort of unwritten teacher-student relationship guidelines that turn out for the best. ex-students can invite you to have as many beers as they can pay for since you made such an impact on their lives.
well jess, i wished you had asked me this question about Blink182 7 years ago when I was a Blink182 song interpreter. But, I would say it's safe to say it's abouit "teenage angst"...since that's what all those type sing about....teenage angst it is...ahhhhhhh
Post a Comment
<< Home