Tuesday, January 23, 2007

My Crib and My Life

Well, I've been up to a few things. I went and saw a fireworks show in a nearby town, Chiapa de Corzo. I've taught several classes, given several tests, and gone to a seventh day adventist church. But most importantly, I moved into my new apartment!!!

Thats right, sunday I moved into my new apartment, and its just a little bitty kind of place. Cozy, as I like to say. But I leave all the windows and doors wide open and I have a lovely view. I'll try to download some of the pictures I've taken this week. I'm still getting settled in and I actually am about to go home to unpack and grade some more tests... I think by the end of this week I'll feel that I have a more regular schedule.

I found some fantastic vanilla granola! Avocados only cost 3 for 50 cents here. Things are going good. In the mornings I get up early and watch the sunrise on the mountains, make a cup of coffee and eat my granola. Its great.

However, yesterday the most scary, horrible, and halarious thing happened to me in my new bungalow, while I was cooking a meal, personally celebrating my first day in my apartment. I knew Edwin would be there to eat at 2, during his break, and so I thought I would make something special. I thought I was thoughtful, and clever, and a good cook, making rice and a spinach and tomato dish. Yummmm...but all went bad when the bowl I was cooking with was NOT the kind you can cook with. It was not glass looking plastic, but just glass itself, and exploded into a million purple shards all over the kitchen. I'm not sure how I did not die, because it exploded about 2 feet from my face. The water went EVERYWHERE, as did the rice, the glass, the vegetables...and I spent a good 2 hours cleaning. But hey, now the kitchen is tremendously clean :)

Anyway, thats about all here.

In my classes I've been making my students do chain stories. One starts by saying a sentence and then each student continues, on and on until they make a whole creative story. Its so funny, and I think this is what people should always do in their free time. Its better than TV, movies, anything, because you would be surprised how creative you are and just how funny too.

I think I am being forced to go see Rocky Balboa tonight. Any thoughts?

7 Comments:

At 10:54 AM, Blogger McKinley Ann said...

My thoughts-- the experience of Rocky Balboa will be excellent material for another chain story. And I am only writing this comment because of Patti's admonishment. Really... romance is always trickier than it would seem, so be careful when you hatch those lovely ideas. I want to know what happens in those 7th day adventist churches...

 
At 3:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am not writtin' this because this "mom" character said to. I am writing it because I have a potentially very lucrative avacado smuggling scheme cookin up and I need a runner. The plan is to stash the goods in an innocent looking marimba and then bring the marimbacado across the border to kentucky, where we will fence half the produce and use the other half to create the most awesome guacamole filled dance party, like those foam parties but with a creamy heaven of green.
-Anonymous

 
At 9:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yummmmmm!!!! good idea!

 
At 4:52 PM, Blogger Bree said...

hey jess...im glad veracruz is still so nice...Los Angeles is hell on earth...im outta there though, and safely on my way to northern cali...love you

 
At 11:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mom character? what the heck? well (mr.)anonymous..you may THINK you are anonymous but secretly you are not..and i know who you are sooo be ever so careful when you start talking trash. LOL.....and DON'T FORGET ABOUT JESS' BIRTHDAY....everyone should e-mail her, send her e-card, text messages...everything to make her feel loved and special...because she is....she's JESSICA.

Love you Jess!

 
At 8:31 AM, Blogger Bree said...

ok so i need to make a print correction...i know jessica is not in veracruz...i was just being out of my mind...this is a correction\
Bree

 
At 3:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thats right, preach it, mum!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home