Sunday, May 11, 2008

Could it be any hotter?

Everyday in tuxtla is a competition to see if it can be hotter than the day before. There is a story mostly told by inspirational speakers and pastors that says that if you but a frog in cool water, on the stove, and increase the temperature little by little, the frog will never notice and will boil to his little amphibian death. I don't know what kind of psycho-animal-harmer did that to a frog. But the point is, that frog is me.

Today at about 2pm, the climax of the raging ball of gas known as the sun reached an unsupportable evilness that left everyone totally useless. As I walked down the stairs after my second shower of the day I saw Edwin's mom sprawled out, sweating, in the hammock, and his father laying arms and legs stretched out on the tile floor directly under the high-speed fan, mouth wide open. Having a fan is just insane because it only blows 95 degree air onto your face. ITS SO HOT. Hey! It's the expression of the week.

The other expression of the week is 'this year its gonna rain like nobody's ever seen before!' Everyone's saying it, in cafes, at school, around the comida table, they are gossiping that this May's record breaking heat is a signal that this year the rains gonna come down so hard that the river will rise up 2 city blocks, destroying parking lots, houses, and bridges. We'll see. I'm sorry about everyone losing houses, but I can't wait for some good, earth-cooling thunderstorms!

The main thought going through my mind is that soon it will be going to kentucky in october. Ah, Kentucky in october, a cool breeze, a need for sweaters and the possibility of one shower and day and a hot beverage!!!!

It had crossed my mind that I couldn't live here all my life, like I imagined possible. But then today I remembered the existence of air conditioning. "Wouldn't it be fantastic to have an air conditioner RIGHT IN YOUR HOUSE???" i thought. Even just one room with a little one in the wall, just to escape on days like this. Then I remembered how everyone in the US just does have entire air conditioning and heating systems in their house, and I can't even remember what that's like. I think I spent most of my life not having to really deal with the actual weather outside. Everywhere you go in the US you can escape from the temperature to a safe, 70 degree environment. Maybe this is why many are not that concerned about climate change and global warming?

In other news I am joining a writing club, in hopes of it motivating me to write some of these blogs into better short stories, and eventually write some type of memoir and a published book, which I will personally sign for all you. No, but really there are some american writers in san cristobal who meet once a week and i'm gonna start writing and having them read and critique me!!! Ha!

2 Comments:

At 10:11 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Soooo Jess...let me ask you ...is it hot where you are?? LOL !! I'm sorry...that's not nice...what's even not nicer is that today is beautiful, sunny, breezy and around 60 degrees...(sorry!)...
I'm so excited about your writing club.....you better dedicate your first book to me...your biggest cheerleader!!
Love you Jess!

 
At 12:24 PM, Blogger JacobG said...

Soooo Jess...am I going to be able to take some sort of boat-like transportation to Tuxtla from DF when the rainy season comes? Could save me a few tens.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home