Teaching English and Thanksgiving
I am currently distracted by blaring Mana music, a mexican pop rock group, at this neon orange internet cafe, so I apologize in advance if I jump around and can´t seem to focus.
You see, I learned in a workshop here that I am a visual learner, which means I have trouble learning with audio stimuli. In fact, there are four different learning styles: visual, audio, kinestetic, and tactile, and everyone falls into one or more of these categories. fascinating, no? but really, you don´t care, so i will move on. haha.
okay so this week I taught 3 english classes and there is this kid in my class named Andres. Andres is the most homosexual man I have ever met, but not only that, he is the most interesting personality- one that I would love to have created in a short story, that I celebrate everynight at the end of class (´tonight, andres said this and that´) . My personal favorite Andres moment is when he was asked what he likes to do to relax. His response was, brushing his hair casually out of his eyes, ´oh, I don´t know, maybe...(quizical pause) take care of animals...or (shrugs shoulders and frowns)....rescue someone?´ I am going out for sushi with him and his friends for his birthday tonight, and Im sure he has no idea that I am almost obsessed with him and quote him contantly.
My english students are always saying funny things and its not because there grammar is bad or their accent, its just because they are funny funny kids. Another girl was asked ¨what do you have to do to become a successful actress?¨Her response was ´um, well, you have to go to bed early......somtimes.¨haha, just sometimes. I wish i could think of more examples, right now, but I can´t.
Besides this crazy week of teaching, homework, workshops, etc, last night we did have a little Thanksgiving celebration at my house. It was a motley crue of canadians, mexicans and americans, eating chicken instead of turkey and chocolate cake instead of pumpkin pie, but we did have wine, bread, mashed potatoes, gouda cheese, and cauliflower. it wasnt exactly all american, but it was good to all get together for a little party and give thanks. Ive decided thanksgiving is probably my favorite american holiday- to get together and give thanks is a beautiful thing.
Edwin is coming to visit tonight. I have two weeks left of this course, and then I am going to Chiapas to look for a job. In case you are wondering, I am coming home Dec 20th and will be around for at least 2-3 weeks before returning, if i get a job that is!
okay, well, better get to my homework.

4 Comments:
i'm a kinesthetic learner, meaning i have to do sit-ups or pace around the room with a book in my hand. snacking also counts as activity. when i read your blog i can't concentrate unless i'm also playing any one of a variety of bluegrass instruments.
i am thankful to be homework free, and thankful you are enjoying classifying learning styles. i can't pick one though, is that ok? i ate enough pumpkin pie for the two of us, don't you worry (as ms. caw would say).
Ok....so it's been over a week since you blogged!! and what's up with hardly anyone leaving comments!! SLACKERS!!! Ha!
Glad to know you're still doing well (via text messages :-)...miss you but will see you VERY SOON!!! 16 days!! YEAH!!!
Since mom has called me out, here is a comment.
Post a Comment
<< Home