Sunday, November 05, 2006

so much to say....

I feel like a lot has happened to the point where it is almost exhuasting to write about. But I will try.

I said that at my last entry I was dressed in an orange Tshirt, and that was true. It was because the elections in Nicaragua are taking place this very day, and Bree and I were accompanying her nicaraguan sister, Margarita, to a political rally. You know, the usual thing we should be doing that will not worry our parents in any way.

We left at dusk in flaming orange tshirts. Let me explain my orange fixation. Not only do I always always always feel scared and uncomfortable in nicaragua, but Bree made me wear an orange tshirt. Mumbling that I would hate her forever, we followed margarita through the muddy trench dug streets to catch a school bus to the center of town. I was adjusting to the feeling of foreignness, I was getting over my own fear of being stared at, and I was beginning to forget my white skin, red hair, and i say again, my GIANT ORANGE TSHIRT. Just at this moment, at the same moment of the beginnings of a brutal downpour of rain, came the parade of Sandanistas. Thats right, the leftist socialist black and red striped political party supporters, car by car for what seemed to be miles. They shouted at our orange tshirts. They pointed, the stared, they honked. At some point I fell into an emotional coma, repeating to myself that I am more than my body, or my tshirt, i do not need to fear, retreating to my happy place and singing micheal jacksons ´heal the world´, the free willy anthem, in desparete little whispers. Later, after the experience, I decided it wasnt all that bad, that bree is brave, and I should do things that scare me more often. So, with that said, mom and dad, Im going to be taking a job teaching english...in Iraq.

Haha, joke.

haha. no? not funny?

okay anyway, keep your eyes peeled, as they say, for the outcome of nicaraguan elections today.

I really loved being in Nicaragua and with Bree, but alas, my time there was through, and after one last hurrah at a mexican restaurant, of all things, I began my 2.5 day bus journey back to Tuxtla Gutierrez.

Day 1 (thursday) I woke up before the roosters start crowing and bree puts her earplugs in (approx 3:30 everyday) to catch a 5 am bus to San Salvador. Along the way I met a group of sweedish surfers carrying drums and, would you believe it, surfboards! They were funny, and my friends for several sweaty ´what the hell is wrong with air conditioner?´ hours of back to back Denzel Washington movies, from a DVD that actually exists that is called ´the denzel collection´. I decided it is funny to travel the world to ride around the ocean on a board, funnier if you have a sweedish accent, but even better if you are carrying african djembes.

At one point i got an ice cream cone, like the kind you get when you are little from the ice cream man, that myserious man who doesn´t have a name but probably does have 3 gold teeth and a crush on your mother. Well, I think those cones are directly from heaven. That is, in fact, what the Jews called Manna. If it were hot and my people were wanting food in the desert I would immediately pellet them with sharp cones filled with chocolate and ice cream. yum!!!

But what am I talking about, back to business. As soon as I got to San Salvador I realized that this country is much much richer looking than Nicaragua. It is filled with posh stores and shopping malls and nice houses and fully paved roads. However, for some reason everyone still told me that it was the most dangerous place on earth and that I should not even dare to venture outside walking by myself, let alone in a taxi!!! Its not safe!!! that is everyones cry. I met this solo argentinian traveling girl and she told me she experiences the same thing. Her take was that in dangerous countries the people who are not dangerous really really want to protect you, so they tell you it is the most dangerous place and you need to watch your back at every corner.

The point is, I didnt go out in San Salvador, not even for a second. Boo hoo. So I can hardly give any comments on El Salvador as a country, only that I met a nice family there, that it is green, and that it appears to have more money than Nicaragua. I tried to eat the local food, pupusas, but count find any nearby.

The next day was spent, once again, on a bus to Guatemala. I think Guatemala is one of the most beautiful countries I´ve ever seen and I could spend more time there. The most significant thing that happed that day was that my bus driver greeted me by saying ´hello there, Christ loves you! you are beautiful.´ and then later addressed me as ´baby´ as in ´hey baby, whats shakin´- you know, creepy, which kind of ruined that whole idea that maybe he was an angel. a bus driving angel, just like my moms favorite sitcom touched by an angel.

Anyway, now I am back in Tuxtla Gutierrez, and the weather is nice and spring like, about 65 degrees. Im having a good time.

I would like to write a lot about my thoughts on US involvement in Central America and how I have double feelings of sadness and contempt but also pride and joy to be from the United States. But we´ll save that for next time, or you people will get tired of reading. I dont want to bore you with politcal or moral ramblings today.

Hasta pronto...

2 Comments:

At 7:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yesterday it wouldn't let me post a message, but here it is... i'm so glad your whorlwind tour of Central America went well, and you got to participate in so many grassroots activities. and i am also so glad that i will see you real soon. i look forward to hearing the stories in person, and visiting you in veracruz and then san cristobal. everyone is asking...when are you in kentucky for christmas? i'll be back in mexico tomorrow. te quiero.

 
At 2:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for a very different version of Bree's adventures. I don't think I feel any better knowing what she is actually doing verse the watered down version she gives me. Glad you made it home safely. You are very brave to take a bus ride to visit. Glad you did because she always draws strength from her wonderful friends. I will keep you in my prayers.

Mahala

 

Post a Comment

<< Home